Thursday, February 10, 2011

Interview with HeidiMoon of Highland Fairy Clothing and Accessories

Doing interviews gives me the opportunity to learn about really cool artists, designers and vintage resellers. I started interviewing people for my own blog several years ago. This has been not only a great networking tool, but I've also found out about many awesome new designers/people I would have otherwise never found out about if I had not started interviewing. Most people want to be interviewed because it's free exposure for them. All you have to do is ask!

Today's interview is from our own HeidiMoon of Highland Fairy Clothing and Accessories. She reclaims and recycles fabrics to create one of a kind garments and accessories.


Tell us a little about yourself:

I am a mother of four, born in the Highlands of Scotland and of Hungarian, Irish, Scottish decent. I love making things and recycling is a big part of this.

When did you first start crafting?

I have always made things, from a very young age. My parents are both artistic and creative so this was passed on to me. I suppose it was inevitable that I became like them and I see it as being a vital part of my life.


Please describe your work in detail. What's your favorite type of crafting?


I work in various different materials, from reclaimed fabrics, plastic containers, found objects through to clay and paint. I make clothes, jewelry, accessories and I also make ceramic art pieces and I love to draw and paint. I don't think I have a favourite craft, as I enjoy everything I do. If I'm not happy making something I will stop and move onto something else. If you don't love what you do in life I don't see the point in doing it! I see my work as being continuously experimental and always changing.


How has your work evolved from your earlier work?


I think my work has improved and evolved over time as does everything you work at, and I feel that my eye for colour and detail has become more refined. I also think that the more confident you become about your own work the more you want others to see it and sharing my work, especially online, with others has been very motivating for me.


Where do you get your inspiration?

I can be inspired by what ever is around me..I can look at a tree and all it's textures and shapes, or a pavement, a stone, a colour that someone is wearing. I collect seedpods, and look at organic shapes and textures in nature. Other artists inspire me...I love to see how other people work and it's wonderful to inspire others too.

Where are your products sold (online/stores)?


In my Etsy shop, which is my only online shop. Having too many online stores only confuses me! I sell my work in various shops in Scotland, and I am hoping to find other places wider afield who will take my creations.



What advice can you give other crafters when selling their items?

One of the things I am learning about selling is to price my work realistically. I forget how much time and work I put into one piece and sometimes people tell me my prices are too low for all the effort I put in. I think it's important to remember your self worth and that you are selling a part of your self and your creative expression, especially if it's a one off item.

Describe yourself in three words:


Sensitive, creative, loving

Is there is anything else you'd like to share with us?

As this is aimed at recycling, I think it's important to encourage people to recycle, re-use and re-create as much as possible because there is far too much of a 'throw away, buy a new one' attitude in the world!! It makes me mad and sad that we waste so much and some people just don't have the imagination or motivation to change how we live and to make our planet a better place to live. I like to imagine that one day we will all be using less or no packaging, making our own clothes from our old ones, re-using containers, making our own paper, driving green cars, flying less, live in natural houses, growing veggies, etc, etc... x x


You can find Highland Fairy online at the following places:

Highland Fairy on Etsy
Highland Fairy on Facebook
Flickr

This post was contributed by Heather of Texas Vintage Things.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Such amazing work! Thanks for another great interview!

Unknown said...

I just love this shop!

Aileen Clarke Crafts said...

Great Interview. Been a fan of Heidi's work for a while now and I love her creative expression. She is not afraid to be unique in what she does and what she makes and her creations show a defiance against the mainstream attitudes of the world as well as her love for nature and her sensitive side. I'm a proud owner of two of her ceramic bird pendants and they are so well admired!