Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Recycle, Repurpose, and Reorganize!!!

Pictured above is the newest addition to my Etsy shop Eco-Friendly Freckles, my hand-painted upcycled decoupage canister "All You Need is Love and You Will Have Peace".

Does your home need some eco-friendly pizazz?! Do you need a decorative storage place to keep your craft supplies and other odds and ends? Well, I think I have the perfect thing for you: a beautifully hand-painted upcycled decoupage canister or tin from the featured "Guild Member of the Month" and Team Captain of the Etsy Recyclers Guild, myself Jessica Eco-Friendly Freckles! Here is a picture I took of my work desk; I am using two of my functionally artsy upcycled organizers from my shop "Sunshine on a Rainy Day" (as pictured above) and "Paulie's Confession".Since I use a lot of magazines with my decoupage art, I needed a place to store my magazines that was tidy, functional, and decorative...because I knew that whatever I would come up with would probably end up out in the open, and the last thing I want is an eyesore. However, I am also quite frugal and creative so I didn't want to go purchasing some decorative storage boxes...I wanted to figure out how to make my own. So this is what I came up with:
...I made a few of these decorative storage boxes since I have a gargantuan stash of magazines. The only materials I used to make these were: used cardboard boxes that I recycled from my work at Akin's Natural Foods Market (funny thing is, these boxes originally held our Akin's Healthy Edge Magazines...so I knew my magazines at home would fit perfectly), tape/glue or any desired adhesive, a box-cutter to trim off the top cardboard flaps of the box, a pair of scissors, and any large piece of decorative paper (wrapping paper works best; I cut a piece of see-through lacy embellished paper...I like the look of the natural brown from the cardboard popping through the lace decals). Just wrap the box like you would a gift and adhere the paper to the inside box so it is secure...and vwa la, you have created a recycled, repurposed organizing storage container that looks lovely!

3 comments:

Artifact Andrea said...

Love it! So handy and yet so stylish too!!! ;-D

Naturally Heartfelt said...

Really great idea! Definitely going to try this:)

Jessica Woody said...

Thanks ladies! I love making these upcycled decorative storage boxes...they are handy and EASY! ;-)